Dear UCU colleagues

I and colleagues have written to The Guardian
<https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/jan/22/we-refuse-to-act-as-external-examiners-until-universities-deal-with-staffing-issues>today
to say that, as senior academics, we will be resigning as external
examiners and refusing to take on new examining contracts for courses at
universities and colleges across the UK and to urge colleagues to join us.

We are refusing to act as external examiners because although we believe
that this role is crucial in underpinning the quality of education
provided to students, so too is the need to provide fair pay, pensions
and job security for those who work in universities.

In the current disputes between UCU and university employers the union
has highlighted the proliferation of casualisation with half of
frontline staff not having a secure contract; cuts in pension benefits
which have left USS members worse off; shocking gender and ethnicity pay
gaps; and a systemic culture of work overload which contributes to high
levels of staff stress and illness.

If you want to add your name to the list of those resigning external
examiner posts and/or refusing to take on new contracts until
universities take action to address these issues please click here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eGPHtP3ZavE3W6aW4Gkr8NUG7x9ot2WxulL8GsJ9Qkg/edit?usp=sharing,,-->

*Please forward to people in your institution.*

Best wishes

Jane

Professor Jane Holgate
Professor of Work and Employment Relations

Work and Employment Relations Division
Leeds University Business School
31 Lyddon Terrace (room 2.05)
University of Leeds LS2 9JT