Dear All,

We are delighted to announce that the Thomas Cook Archive has been transferred to the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland and will be available to the public as soon as possible. Moving the collection was a huge undertaking, but we now have it stored safely here and are looking forward to sharing the fantastic wealth of information with the world.

The acquisition and transfer of this fantastic resource could not have happened without the support and dedication of many individuals and organisations and we would like to acknowledge and thank, in particular:

The Association of Business Historians for their call for support as to the research value of the collection.  Richard Wiltshire, of the Crisis Management Team for business archives and the Business Archives Council with The Official Receiver and Insolvency Service, who all worked to save the archive.

The managers of Manuscripts and Special Collections Department, University of Leicester and Special Collections, DeMontfort University.

The East Midlands Oral History Archive (EMOHA)

The Media Archive for Central England (MACE)

These organisations provided letters of support for our application and we are looking forward to using the collection more fully with their help and interest.

Paul Smith, former archivist for Thomas Cook who has given generous advice and assistance regarding the collection.

Last, but not least, we must thank the staff at Thomas Cook for their courtesy, help and understanding during the transfer of the collection. We hope to keep in touch with them and capture their memories for the archive in due course.

If you would like to tweet about this story please use #thomascookarchive and/or #savedforthenation

From Jenny Moran and all of us at the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland

Jenny Moran

Senior Archivist (Access and Information)

Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland

Long Street

Wigston Magna

Leicestershire

LE18 2AH

Telephone 01162571080

Email [log in to unmask]

Take a look at our new website www.recordoffice.org.uk

archive-accred-weblogo

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any reading, printing, storage, disclosure, copying or any other action taken in respect of this e-mail is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by using the reply function and then permanently delete what you have received.

Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance with Leicestershire County Council's policy on the use of electronic communications. The contents of e-mails may have to be disclosed for requests under Data Protection or Freedom of Information legislation. Details about how we handle information can be found at https://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/data-protection

The views expressed by the author may not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Leicestershire County Council.

Attachments to e-mail messages may contain viruses that may damage your system. Whilst Leicestershire County Council has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept any liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of these factors. You are advised to carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.