Dear colleagues,

We are delighted to be able to announce that the Archive Service Accreditation Panel meeting on 7 November 2019 made the following new awards to Accredited Archive Services:

·         Durham University Library: Archives and Special Collections

·         National Army Museum

·         Nucleus: the Nuclear and Caithness Archives

·         Search Engine, National Railway Museum

·         Wellcome Collection

You can read the news story at https://nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/newly-accredited-archive-services-8/. These awards are as ever a real achievement for the applicant archive services. The Archive Service Accreditation Committee and programme partners congratulate all concerned on their success. We appreciate their patience while we had to delay this announcement, and hope there will now be well-deserved celebrations! Congratulations are also due to the services who retained the award during their scheduled reviews, and to Kresen Kernow (Archives and Cornish Studies Service), which has moved from provisional to the full Accreditation award, following the successful launch of the service’s new home.

We’re looking forward to a busy and productive 2020, as the programme reaches new milestones. This is a moment of significant change for the Accreditation programme, as the first awards made in 2013 expire and award-holders complete new applications. In the programme’s governance, the terms of office for a number of Committee members ended in November. We’d like to thank all those who have served on the Committee during its first six years, with special mention to those leaving us in 2019: Bruce Jackson, the first programme chair, Rachel Hart, Valerie Johnson, Ruth MacLeod, Elizabeth Oxborrow-Cowan, Liz Rees and Philippa Smith. Susan Edwards’s term as ARCW’s nominee also ends in March 2020, so more than half the Committee members are stepping down in this period. We will miss all their contributions, and the hard work, considered feedback and good humour that have supported us through the foundational years of Archive Service Accreditation.

We have been very grateful for active engagement from the archives sector during this transition period, with many Accreditation partners recruiting their new nominees to the Committee, and a highly competitive recruitment round for four open Committee vacancies. With congratulations to those who are joining the refreshed Committee:

·         Geoff Pick (Archives and Records Association nominee, Committee Chair)

·         Sarah Aitchison

·         Caroline Brown (Scottish Council on Archives nominee)

·         Hayden Burns (Archives and Records Council Wales nominee)

·         Emma Markiewicz (The National Archives nominee)

·         Catherine Taylor

·         Joanna Terry

·         Janice Tullock

You can read more about the Committee’s role here: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/archive-service-accreditation/management-of-archive-service-accreditation/. I’d like to thank everyone who expressed an interest in these posts – we were so pleased at the response from across the sector, showing how much Archive Service Accreditation has engaged those working in archives in a wide variety of roles. Keeping Accreditation relevant and ensuring it addresses the real issues facing UK archives is our goal, and having such support can only help us to take the programme forward.

Best wishes for 2020,

Melinda

Dr Melinda Haunton

Programme Manager (Archive Service Accreditation)

The National Archives

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- National Archives Disclaimer This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the email. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask] For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a holiday) see the list website at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=archives-nra