Hi Lizzie,
many thanks for raising this issue - difficult one.
Personally, I am one of those who won't be going to the EAA in Budapest as I feel uneasy about the current regime operating in Hungary. At the moment, it is just a personal decision, rather than a formalised boycott. I would be equally sympathetic towards Hungarian colleagues who decided not to go to Britain, because of the situation we have here. The governments of both countries are currently rather appealing to neo-fascists and white supremacists. I expect that there will soon be a similar situation in Italy (my home country).
Should the Budapest avoidance become a more formalised act, as you suggest, I think it would be useful to get in touch with the EAA committee as well as some Hungarian colleagues, to try to understand whether concerns have already been expressed, what is the feeling of local academics etc. If there are any Hungarians on this list, it would be good to hear from them, though it would be understandable if they would rather not become exposed.
It would be good to hear other people's opinions on this issue.
Cheers,
Umberto