Dear all,

I am currently finishing my PhD in Urban Studies in Chile (UBB, Concepción). My research focuses on the effects of the built environment on social interaction in suburban neighborhoods of the city of Mendoza (Argentina). I did a brief but very helpful internship at Space Syntax Limited but I still have many doubts about the interpretation of the results (segment analysis), so I would be very grateful if you could help me with some:

- Global choice measures (25Km) are usually referenced to vehicular traffic and local choice measures (1,6Km) are more referenced to pedestrian flow and retail location, correct? What a meso radius (like 4Km) would be talking about?

- Global integration measures, like 25Km, talk about the centrality of each street in reference to the whole city and is linked to the potential locations for metropolitan facilities and services, correct?

- Could local integration (1,6Km) be linked to the places where people would stay rather than pass through? In other words, the high local integration values could point to places in a neighborhood where neighbors would tend to stay more (compared to other places in the same neighborhood)?

- As you can see in the two images attached: Why the main highways are highlighted in the global integration map rather than in the global choice map? Shouldn’t it be the other way around? (the center of the city, on the contrary, is highlighted in the integration map, as I understand it should be).

- And finally, do you have any recommendation for application of Space Syntax in the suburbs (as they are usually imbibed in fragmented and isolated areas)?

Thank you very much for your help, kind regards,

Mariona Oliver