PLEASE NOTE: When you click 'Reply' to any message it will be sent to all RAMESES List members. If you only want to reply to the sender please remove [log in to unmask] from the 'To:' section of your email.

Dear Joanne,

Thanks for sharing about your PhD Thesis. I share the same challenge – trying to teach myself and then communicate realist methods to my supervisors who have not used this routinely in their previous research projects.

Even though your request was for literature or ideas on how to introduce “facilitatory strategies” without adding to the confusion, I will like to take a look at your CMOC and share a few ideas in the hope that you find it useful.

This is your current CMOC:

Context – Location – remotely located

Mechanism Resources –  limited knowledge/understanding/communication

Mechanism Response –  Trust not likely to exist

Outcome – Patient Discharge delayed

You have a separate term titled - “facilitatory strategies”

An option you may consider:

Context – Location – remotely located, limited trust among health service providers.

Mechanism Resources –  facilitatory strategies aimed at improving existing relationships

Mechanism Response –  change in the level of knowledge, understanding, communication (as proximal outcomes) and trust among health service providers.

Outcome – Patient Discharge (rates) - delayed/improved/no change, other untoward effects.

Of course this program theory may change as you collect data.

Wishing you success on your project and as a newbie to realist methods as well, I would like to learn alongside with you.

Regards.

Yakubu.

Kenneth Yakubu | MB.BS, FWACP (Fam Med), FMCFM, MBA-HUM, MPhil (Fam Med)
PhD Student

The George Institute for Global Health | AUSTRALIA
Level 5, 1 King St | Newtown NSW 2042 Australia
Postal Address: PO Box M201 | Missenden Rd | NSW 2050 Australia

E [log in to unmask] |
W www.georgeinstitute.org.au
twitter | facebook | e-newsletter

Ranked the top independent research organisation in Australia, The George Institute is affiliated with UNSW Sydney.

The George Institute acknowledges the Gadigal People of the Eora Nation as the First Custodians of the land on which our Australia Office is situated. We pay our respect to Elders past, present and emerging.

Think before printing - growing a tree takes 40 years. This email and its attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you have received it by mistake, please notify me and destroy all copies and attachments immediately.