From: Museums Computer Group <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Phil Blume
Sent: 11 December 2019 14:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: A pricing question :-)

I agree with everyone who also thinks that the process of tendering is guaranteed to deliver poor value for money.

The problems begin with writing the ‘Invitation to Tender’.

This can take ages, with many stakeholders adding their wish lists until it becomes a behemoth of a document, riddled with contradictions, impossibilities and soon-to-be-outdated concepts.

After months of opinion-gathering,writing and revisions, the Invitation to Tender might finally be sent to firms to respond to.

The second problem is the cost of responding.

If the Invitation to Tender is sent to six similar firms, then each firm has a one-in-six chance of winning or, put another way, it will take six responses to win one contract. Hence, to break even over time, firms will need to inflate their quote to include the project delivery plus six times the cost of responding.

The third problem is the amount of time it all takes.

After the time spent writing the invitation, scheduling the pitches, the subsequent deliberations and the drafting of contracts, a firm will finally begin building the product, quite possibly a year or two after it was first conceived.

That it will be out-of-date when is delivered is pretty much unavoidable. Worse still, even if this becomes apparent, the deliverables are tied into a legally-binding contract to make the product as specified, whether or not it will have any useful purpose or relevance when delivered.

And that is why tendering takes too long, costs too much and lacks the flexibly to respond to our rapidly changing technical landscape.

PS. The longest Invitation to Tender I recall receiving was 68 pages - does anyone want to raise me?

Cheers,

Phil Blume