Good to see a healthy bit of discussion on this.

I, like Andrew, am also part of the Heritage Gateway Partnership Board and I would like to add that the Statement will be looked at as part of the whole Heritage Gateway Redevelopment under the Heritage Information Access Strategy (HIAS) programme. We have noted in previous board meetings that the statement should be revised and so discussions like this are useful to help us get it right.
I think some sort of statement is useful and it is more about getting the wording right rather than the principle of having one or not.

Here in Warwickshire we do what we can to help ensure the HER is consulted when appropriate but having a statement on Heritage Gateway is definitely useful and I know some HERs struggle to enforce proper use of the HER and need some sort of statement to help support them.

Personally I think it is pretty clear from the NPPF, professional guidance, good practice etc that HERs should be consulted as part of any decision making affecting the Historic Environment but I appreciate each Local Planning Authority needs to decide how that is enacted, enforced or carried out. However, I also think it is the role of the wider archaeology/heritage profession to ensure HERs are consulted appropriately and that decision making should not be made without consulting it first. I appreciate Andrew's point that HERs are not always very rich regarding data relating to the built historic environment but I would like to think that through things such as HIAS we are working to improve this.

Ben

Ben Wallace
(Historic Environment Record Manager)
BA (EU) Hons, MA, MCIfA

Warwickshire Historic Environment Record
Archaeological Information and Advice (AIA),
Landscape, Ecology and Historic Environment,
Planning Delivery,
Environment Services,
Communities

Warwickshire County Council

Phone: 01926 412734
Postal Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities, Warwickshire County Council, PO Box 43, Warwick CV34 4SX
Physical Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities, Warwickshire County Council, Barrack Street, Warwick CV34 4TH
Email:  [log in to unmask]