I was going to say something similar - I'm not familiar with the child maintenance legislation, but looking at the relevant part briefly I can see there is a duty to share in certain circumstances.  I don't think we know what your organisation's relationship with the subject is, so I have no idea whether that duty actually applies to you or not.  Either ask them to clarify why the obligation applies to you, or get some specific advice.

The crime and taxation exemption allows sharing, but just because it's cited doesn't mean you always have a choice.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Phil Bradshaw
Sent: 06 December 2019 10:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Request for data from Child Maintenance Service

s15(6) is more than a permissive gateway - it creates a duty "... shall furnish to the inspector... "

So unless you want to get into the murky waters of arguing it is not reasonably required most controllers would comply.

Strictly of course there could be a breach if it is NOT reasonably required (Does HMG ever act unreasonably? :-) ) but the real risk surely falls on the Inspector if exceeding the requirements of his role.

       leave data-protection to [log in to unmask] All user commands can be found at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/subscribers/subscribercommands.html

The information in this email (and any attachment) may be for the
intended recipient only. If you know you are not the intended recipient,
please do not use or disclose the information in any way and please
delete this email (and any attachment) from your system.

The Council does not accept service of legal documents by e-mail.

All user commands can be found at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/subscribers/subscribercommands.html