List used to be a lot busier than it is. Oddly -- effectively -- repetitious, the Auslander poem?
Luke

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 at 17:48, Jaime Robles <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The following is a translation of the Rose Auslander poem by Mike Rose.

Into Life

Only in the motherhood of grief

Does the fullness of experience stream into me.

She feeds me for a long, bleary time

With black milk and heavy wormwood wine.

Within her body I grow like a child

Shrouded in night-song and shadow spaces

Until my woes are ripe and sighted

And the womb expels me from the dream.

And all the paths plunge towards me

each takes me into its otherness

And evenings attend, great with golden stillness

As angels about my transfigured pain.

This is an informal translation and Mike makes the following comment:

I've been fairly direct rather than poetic in the translation, and two lines still bother me. 'Mutterinnigkeit' (l.1) is one of those German words that means 20 different things - could be translated as motherly intimacy, being-within-motherness, motherhood or something else...    'Sehend' in l.7 could be 'seeing' but I think there's also the implication of 'visible', so I went for 'sighted' to try to catch both.

Jaime