Thousands of historic photographs of Kilkenny’s many shopfronts have been made accessible thanks to a new initiative by the library service and Kilkenny County Council.

The new online resource, ‘Kilkenny Shopfronts Through the Ages’ is now available on the library’s Kilkenny digital archive . It boasts around 4,400 photographs, which show the shopfronts in each street in Kilkenny City between the late 20th Century and the present.

It’s as a result of a collaboration between the council’s planning section, the library service, information systems and heritage. At the December meeting of Kilkenny County Council, members heard that the look and layout of the digital archive has been enhanced. The work was painstaking, as each picture of each premises had to be uploaded individually.

http://bit.ly/2QjkKD3
http://bit.ly/2QjkKD3+

--
Peterk