This post by Tim Jerome may help you Nicola.

Regards,

Helen Hargest

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tim Jerrome <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019, 16:02
Subject: Results of research into offensive language in archival description
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Hi everyone,

You may recall that several months ago I posted a survey on this list which
sought to measure opinions on the issue of offensive language in archival
description. Several participants expressed a desire to see the eventual
results of my research, and as thanks for the excellent levels of
participation from those on this list (120 respondents in total!) I have
decided to post them here. As well as the survey, I undertook a review of
literature and held three focus groups in different archival institutions.

If there is one clear-cut result which has become evident during this
research, it is the fact that the heritage sector is not yet ready to fully
concur on a solution for potentially offensive terminology in archival
description. This applies to a range of issues: whether the participatory
approach is pragmatic, whether quotation marks around offensive words are
appropriate, who should lead the profession’s response, and whether content
warnings should be implemented. However, I stated at the outset that this
work was to be more than a prevarication on the topic, and so I have
decided upon the following guidelines for an archivist who is cataloguing
collections containing offensive language relating to sexuality, mental
health or lifestyle:

1. Do not make any alterations to the title field; specifically, do not
replace offensive terminology or include quotation marks around the
terminology. Either of these solutions intrudes upon the original language
of the record creator and therefore damages the record’s integrity. There
is no guarantee that changing title fields will decrease the offence
caused, and it is more likely to result in confusion and anger amongst
users who are trying to view a record which is being mis-represented by the
archivist. It is, however, acceptable to change offensive terminology
inputted by a previous archivist, so long as this terminology is not
present on the item itself. A note of such changes should be made.

2. Include contextual information on the offensive terminology within the
record’s description field. This fulfils an archivist’s role to educate,
removes the possibility of misunderstanding the origin of the offensive
term, and is visible to users. I would suggest a wording of:
“We recognise that this catalogue entry contains terminology which could be
considered offensive. The terminology exists within the original record and
has been retained to inform users on viewpoints at the time. It in no way
reflects the attitudes of the cataloguer or [Institution name]. For further
information on the history of the terminology, please view the following
sources: [Insert books, articles, websites etc].”
Alternatively, use keyword indexing to automatically link catalogue records
to a keyword record which contains information on the history of an
offensive word.

3. Input alternative, less offensive terminology into the notes field to
improve discoverability for researchers who may not be typing offensive
words into the online catalogue. For example, for a record containing the
word “lunatic”, type “mental illness” into the notes field.

4. In order to improve professional knowledge on these words and the
communities they affect, strive to build a collective database of
participatory knowledge which all heritage professionals can access. This
database could be updated by those with the resources to undertake
participatory work, therefore providing an option for those who are
under-resourced. I would recommend that this database is hosted by the ARA,
as they are a trusted voice on the issue of ethics. Furthermore, as they
are not a repository in the same manner as the National Archives, they
would not become entangled with issues in their own practice regarding
offensive language.

I fully understand that these guidelines will not be agreed upon by
everyone in this list, and I would very much welcome further discussion and
refinement of these suggestions. I also appreciate that user-focused
research would also be beneficial to the development of these ideas. If you
would like to know more about the methodology and results which resulted in
these guidelines, please let me know.

Best wishes,
Tim

For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a
holiday) see the list website at