I rank among those who had the privilege to meet Bill decades ago, when the expression “space syntax” first appeared in print form: that was the year of 1976 and the place was the fascinating intellectual environment formed by him, Julienne Hanson and other colleagues at the Bartlett.

I have since been greatly stimulated by his seminal ideas, first as his MSc student, then when he supervised my MSc thesis, and then my doctoral dissertation. For my great joy, our relationship did not end there, for we met again so often – in Brasilia (he came three times), London, Atlanta, Stockholm, Istanbul, Santiago…

I have perused a list of adjectives, adverbs and metaphors to try and convey how important he was to me, both academically and personally. Found none, either because they were too shallow or too pompous, or perhaps because I know he hated the three species…

Let it only be known that more than specific theories or interpretations, this is what I cherish most and for which I will be forever grateful: I have re-learned to think about Architecture, to develop a new architectural reasoning. Perhaps because, for him, Architecture is the reasoning art?

Thank you and farewell, teacher, mentor, friend.

Fred Holanda