From: Gosling, George <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 14:31
Subject: Social History Society conference
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Hi,

I'm getting in touch about the annual Social History Society conference, being hosted by the University of Lancaster from 29 June to 1 July 2020. Every year it's the biggest gathering of cultural and social historians in the UK and always a friendly and fascinating occasion, where postgraduates and ECRs and BAME scholars are especially welcomed. We're pleased to announce that the keynote lecture will be given by Professor Martha A. Sandweiss (Princeton University), who will be speaking about ‘Seeing the Past: History, Photography and the American West’. The call for papers is now open until 11 December.

I'd like to draw your attention in particular to the revamped Welfare, Humanitarianism and Social Action strand, which I convene with Dr Georgina Brewis and Dr David Hitchcock. This strand welcomes proposals for papers and panels on histories of poverty and welfare; charity and voluntary action; philanthropy and giving; humanitarian aid; human rights; civil rights; social movements; social action; distributive justice and more. It welcomes contributions from all time periods, and interdisciplinary work drawing on, for example, political thought, social theory, geography, literature and economics. We are also interested in submissions covering innovative teaching or public engagement work connected to the strand's core themes.

If you could share news of the call for papers amongst your members and followers, it would be very much appreciated.

Best,
George

---
Dr George Gosling
Senior Lecturer in History, University of Wolverhampton

Latest book: Payment and Philanthropy in British Healthcare, 1918-48 (Manchester University Press, 2017)

Latest article: Eine Neubewertung der „Gift Relationship“ in der britischen Geschichte zum Freiwilligensektor [Rethinking the Gift Relationship in the British History of Voluntary Action] in Freiwilligenarbeit und gemeinnützige Organisationen im Wandel: Neue Perspektiven auf das 19. und 20. Jahrhundert [Volunteering and Charitable Organizations in Flux: New Perspectives on the 19th and 20th Centuries], Historische Zeitschrift, supplement no. 76 (2019), pp. 33-64

Room MH124, Mary Seacole Buildling
Department of History, Politics and War Studies
City Campus (North), University of Wolverhampton
Ring Road St Peters, Wolverhampton WV1 1DT
--
Verity Smith
Chair

Social History Curators Group (SHCG)

Charity No. 1157994 and SC045254
Registered address: c/o Hackney Museum, Technology and Learning Centre, 1 Reading Lane, LONDON, E8 1GQ

Enquiries: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.shcg.org.uk
Twitter: @SHCG1
Facebook: SHCG Transforming Social History in Museums
The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST