Hello all,

I’m looking for some advice.

Our collection has a number of post-cranial bones and bone fragments that are labelled as Dodo specimens from Mauritius.

However, archive material relating to these bones suggests that they may belong to the related (and equally extinct) Solitaire of the nearby island of Rodrigues.

What would be the best way to find out if they’re Dodo or Solitaire bones? Is there a book or paper that could help me do this by eye, or would doing some DNA work be possible? If so, who’d be the best people to approach about this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Dan Gordon

Keeper of Biology

The Great North Museum: Hancock

Barras Bridge

Newcastle upon Tyne

UK

NE2 4PT

Tel: +44 (0)191 277 2346

Tel: +44 (0)191 208 5119 (Tues)

To unsubscribe from the NATSCA list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=NATSCA&A=1