From: Taylor, Christine <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 27 November 2019 23:57
To: Julian Hume <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FW: Dodo or Solitaire?

Hi Julian,

Are you able to help Dan?

Many thanks

Christine

From: The Natural Science Collections Association discussion list <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Dan Gordon
Sent: 26 November 2019 16:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Dodo or Solitaire?

Hello all,

I’m looking for some advice.

Our collection has a number of post-cranial bones and bone fragments that are labelled as Dodo specimens from Mauritius.

However, archive material relating to these bones suggests that they may belong to the related (and equally extinct) Solitaire of the nearby island of Rodrigues.

What would be the best way to find out if they’re Dodo or Solitaire bones? Is there a book or paper that could help me do this by eye, or would doing some DNA work be possible? If so, who’d be the best people to approach about this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Dan Gordon

Keeper of Biology

The Great North Museum: Hancock

Barras Bridge

Newcastle upon Tyne

UK

NE2 4PT

Tel: +44 (0)191 277 2346

Tel: +44 (0)191 208 5119 (Tues)

To unsubscribe from the NATSCA list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=NATSCA&A=1

Get information on what matters to you delivered straight to your inbox - sign up for My Portsmouth Updates today.
Visit www.portsmouth.gov.uk/updates-sign-up today
This email is for the intended recipient(s) only.

If you have received this email due to an error in addressing,
transmission or for any other reason, please reply to it and let the
author know.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy or print it.

This email may be monitored, read, recorded and/or kept by Portsmouth
City Council.  Email monitoring and blocking software may be used.