We still have a few places left for the FREE seventh annual British Library Labs Symposium which will be held on Monday 11 November, from 09.30 – 17.00 in the Knowledge Centre at St Pancras, London. You can register for a free ticket here:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/british-library-labs-symposium-2019-tickets-57086327743

The Symposium showcases innovative and inspiring projects which have used the British Library’s digital content. Last year's Award winner's drew attention to artistic, research, teaching & learning, and commercial activities that used our digital collections.

This year's keynote will be delivered by scientist, author and broadcaster Armand Leroi, Professor of Evolutionary Biology at Imperial College, London.  Armands' keynote, ‘The New Science of Culture’, will reflect his interest and experience in applying techniques from evolutionary biology to ask meaningful questions about culture, humanities and what makes us human.

The symposium will include talks by:

·         Mahendra Mahey (BL Labs Manager) - BL Labs update, highlighting innovative collaborations BL Labs has been working on including how it is working with Labs around the world to share experiences and knowledge and lessons learned.

·         Sophie-Carolin Wagner - the story of the GLAM Labs community and how it wrote a book in 5 days

·         Digital Scholarship Team - exciting projects they have been working on such as Living with Machines and many others.

·         Digital Preservation Team - how they attempt to preserve our digital collections and data for future generations

·         Announcements and presentations showcasing work from BL Labs Awards 2019 nominated projects.

The Symposium will have plenty of opportunities for networking throughout the day, culminating in a reception for delegates and British Library staff to mingle and chat over a drink and nibbles.

This year we have teamed up with the interactive / immersive theatre company 'Uninvited Guests' who will give a specially organised performance for BL Labs Symposium attendees, directly after the symposium at 17.00 (please note this is a separate event to the Symposium).

This participatory performance will take the audience on a journey through a world on the cusp of a technological disaster that could permanently erase our period of history from human memory. Help create a digital time capsule and figure out how we can leave a trace of our existence to those born later?

Useful links

Book for FREE the symposium:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/british-library-labs-symposium-2019-tickets-57086327743

Book for ‘To those born later’ 17:00 performance (£13 plus concessions):

https://www.bl.uk/events/to-those-born-later-11-november-2019-1700

Book for ‘To those born later’ 19:45 performance (£13 plus concessions):

https://www.bl.uk/events/to-those-born-later-11-november-2019-1945

Mahendra Mahey

BL Labs Manager

Landline: +44 (0)20 7412 7324

Mobile and WhatsApp: +447871 287026

Skype for Business:  [log in to unmask]

Personal Skype: mr_mahendra_mahey

Email: [log in to unmask]

Twitter: @BL_Labs @mahendra_mahey

Web: http://www.bl.uk/projects/british-library-labs/

ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7608-6152

British Library Labs

The British Library, St Pancras, London, NW1 2DB

Email: [log in to unmask]

cid:image004.png@01D564D5.81504230

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk