From: An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Dominic Benson (Staff)
Sent: 01 November 2019 08:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [lis-e-resources] Discovery strategies for Open Access content

Good morning, David,

That's a very good question, fraught with complexity! Our preliminary findings when we tested enabling OpenAIRE as a source of Open Access material a year ago are a cautionary tale. Unfortunately at that time the results presented seemed to complicate the discovery process. There did not appear to be the sort of logic we might expect when versions of articles were presented on the results. We found that OpenAIRE items (green or pre-print versions) were presented above or, rather, instead of the published version of record such that the discovery product linked preferentially to OpenAIRE.

The response I had from the discovery provider was, "Upon investigation, these both appear to be open access articles. Summon will generally favor open access over restricted, and direct links to the most accessible platform available... There are definitely some adjustments that we can make to prefer linking [to the publisher's version] ... Our next step is to write rules that will prefer those links [i.e. the DOI].

I suggested that we might prefer the rule to be modified such that the version of record is the preference when we have access rights since our academics might wish this version to be cited. Where there is no access right to the version of record, then we would want users to get the open access version on a repository. My colleague who has responsibility for our Scholarly Communications Office observed,

"My view is that we would want a discovery portal to link to all and any lawfully available versions, green or VoR. A service which censors the results imposes preconceptions on the reason for the search. What we would like to see is all versions cross referencing each other so that users have the choice of which best fits their needs. Green standards can vary, also the green and gold versions can differ, as with preprint (prepublication) archives."

Another consideration would be if the published version is not offered on the result set, it also would not be counted on the publisher's COUNTER report leading to a down tick in usage. We might not have counted the usage of the open access version either, as things stood at the time. Business intelligence and mertrics requirements also need consideration.

We also found an unintended consequence on citation records being presented which linked to the item on RePEc but led to a "need host" error on EZproxy as I did not have this host configured with a NeverProxy directive - I added several open access resources to our NeverProxy list.

Another consequence at that time was some citations on OpenAIRE were found to link to tables of contents or book covers on a repository and not to the user's expected desitination: the chapter of a book. Due to the number of citation only records being presented as potential sources of full text records, and other concerns outlined above, I decided to deselect OpenAire from being indexed on Summon. Sadly, I have not had time to investigate these scenarios again.

I hope that helps -- I'm not sure whether the discovery rules were changed or not. The provision of Unpaywall as a source might provide another opportunity to investigate the situation. Would one do it during the busiest time of the academic year?

Kind regards,
Dom Benson
Analytics & Discovery Officer
Library, Information Services, Brunel University London | T +44(0)1895 266143