Wellesley College
*Innovations in Contemporary Italian Cinema, 2019*

Wellesley College offers the campus and local communities the chance to
catch up on what is happening in contemporary Italian cinema. The three
films scheduled, *Asmarina *(2015), *Una storia senzanome/The Stolen
Caravaggio (2018), and Sembra mio figlio/Just Like My Son* (2018) are “hot
off the press,” having been screened at the most recent international film
festivals. Each film offers a different take on the multifaceted, in-flux
social and political reality of Italy today.

Screenwriters and directors will be present to introduce the films and
answer questions after the screenings. Experts on contemporary Italian
cinema will take part in a roundtable discussion on Saturday before the
screening of the third film, *Sembra mio figlio/*Just Like My Son (2018).
*Thursday, November 14th - Collins **Cinema*
*I. Asmarina (2015), a film by Newhouse Center Fellow Medhin Paolos and
Alan Maglio*
6:30pm: Introduction
7:00pm: Screening of the film
8:30pm: Discussion with director Medhin Paolos

*Medhin Paolos*
*Friday, November 15th - Collins Cinema*
*II. Una storia senza nome/The Stolen Caravaggio (2018), a film by Roberto
Andò*
6:30pm: Introduction
7:00pm: Screening of *Una storia senza nome/The Stolen Caravaggio*
8:30pm: Discussion with screenplay writer Angelo Pasquini

*Roberto Andò*
*Saturday, November 16th *
4:30pm: *Roundtable on contemporary Italian cinema *- held in Newhouse
Center for the Humanities (Green Hall)
Speakers: *Medhin Paolos *(filmmaker and Newhouse Center fellow), *Angelo
Pasquini *(screenwriter of *Una storia senza nome)*, *Antonio Falduto*
(President
of Controluce) and *Prof. Giorgio Bertellin*i (University of Michigan).
Moderated by *professors David Ward* and *Flavia Laviosa*
5:30pm: Reception

*Saturday, November 16th *
*III. Sembra mio figlio/Just Like My Son (Costanza Quatriglio, 2018)
Director will introduce the film (Skype connection) - Collins Cinema*
6:30pm: Introduction
7:00pm: Screening
8:30pm: Discussion of film
*Costanza Quatriglio*
For more information, please contact: Jael Matos, [log in to unmask], or
Lauren Cote, [log in to unmask]
Generously supported by: the Newhouse Center for the Humanites, Department
of Italian Studies, Cinema and Media Studies program, and The Committee on
Lectures and Cultural Events.

*Flavia Laviosa*, PhD
Senior Lecturer
Department of Italian Studies
Wellesley College, USA

Editor, Book Series *Trajectories of Italian Cinema and Media *
Editor-in-Chief, *Journal of Italian Cinema and Media Studies *