Dear colleagues,

With apologies for cross-posting, I would like to draw your attention to
the opportunities for graduate studies in German at Michigan State
University. We welcome applications to both MA and PhD programs for the
2020-2021 academic year. The faculty members in our program embrace an
integrated vision of language and cultural studies that prepares students
for careers in academia and beyond. For its innovative approach to both
undergraduate and graduate curricula, the MSU German Program was recognized
as an American Association of Teachers of German (AATG) Center of
Excellence.

*Graduate students in German Studies at MSU*:

·        obtain a solid grounding in the core disciplinary areas of
literature, culture, and language studies

·        receive personalized mentoring in teaching and research from
dedicated faculty members

·        collaborate with faculty on research projects and publications

·        create innovative scholarship, including hybrid dissertations

·        enhance their German Studies degree with graduate certificates in
Digital Humanities, Museum Studies, or College Foreign Language Teaching

·        explore creative and varied career options through colloquia and
individual advising

·        teach at all levels of the undergraduate curriculum

·        gain professional experience in study abroad programs at an
institution that is nationally recognized as a leader in education abroad

·        engage with the community through service opportunities

Please see our website
<http://linglang.msu.edu/degree-programs/german/graduate-studies/> for more
information on the degree programs in German at MSU.

*Funding*

Competitive funding packages include a combination of fellowships, teaching
assistantships, and research assistantships. Funding packages include
tuition waivers, health insurance, and other benefits. The program also
provides various opportunities for full summer support: e.g., through
faculty-led collaborative research projects, education abroad
assistantships, online language instruction, and individual research
fellowships. Generous travel funding is available for conferences, archival
work, and other scholarly and professional activities.

*Faculty*

Our faculty members are recognized nationally and internationally for their
scholarship, and they have strong interdisciplinary ties to other programs
at MSU, including Second Language Studies, Global Studies, Digital
Humanities, Jewish Studies, Gender Studies, and Film and Visual Studies.
For more information on our areas of expertise, please see the individual
faculty profiles <http://linglang.msu.edu/people/faculty/#GRM>.

*Collaboration*

Collaboration is central to the intellectual community of our program, and
we strive to provide our graduate students with unique opportunities to
work together with faculty in research, teaching, outreach, and other
professional activities. Students acquire professional experience in
education abroad leadership, co-teaching a popular summer program in
Germany. Students contribute to existing research projects, like the Graphic
Narratives Network <http://graphicnarrativesnetwork.org/>, an initiative
co-founded by German faculty members that seeks to advance text-image
studies broadly and encourages archival research in the MSU Libraries’
world-renowned Comic Arts Collection. Max Kade Fellows shadow faculty
mentors in upper-level German courses to gain a deeper understanding of and
hands-on experience with a wider range of types of teaching and pedagogies.
The Center for Language Teaching Advancement <https://celta.msu.edu/> gives
students the chance to reach beyond the university and teach diverse ages
of language learners in the Greater Lansing community. Digital Humanities
<http://digitalhumanities.msu.edu/> at MSU provides further opportunities
for collaboration as well as strong research support.

*Michigan State University*

Founded in 1855, Michigan State University is the nation’s pioneer
land-grant university and a premier public research university with a
diverse student body. Neighboring Michigan’s capital city of Lansing, the
MSU campus is only a 2-hour bus ride to Detroit and a 4-hour train ride to
Chicago.

*Contact*

For more information on German Studies at Michigan State University, please
contact Lynn L. Wolff, Director of Graduate Studies ([log in to unmask]).

Application information is available here
<http://linglang.msu.edu/degree-programs/german/graduate-studies/how-apply/>.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. For full funding
consideration, apply by December 31, 2019.

---

Lynn L. Wolff, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of German

Department of Linguistics and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages

Michigan State University

619 Red Cedar Road

B-265 Wells Hall

East Lansing, MI 48824-1027