Come to think of it this word captures the pejorative, hierarchical flavour of Tippse albeit not the actual role of typist:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/gofer

David J. Zell

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019, 13:45 Karen Leeder, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I am translating something that has the term Tippse in it female typist but I notice it is derb and the author confirms it is meant in that way in the piece. I have been struggling to find a word  in english that captures it. Any ideas? Probably a dated term. It is matched with Burohengst again with his standard meaning but also obviously carrying something predatory.
Any ideas gratefully received - they are for a poem so alas no room for elegant paraphrase!

Karen Leeder, FRSA
Professor of Modern German Literature,
Fellow and Tutor in German
New College
Oxford
OX1 3BN

'Mediating Modern Poetry':

See my translation of
Durs Grünbein ,'The Doctrine of Photography', in Poetry
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/144808/the-doctrine-of-photography

 New College ® is a Registered Charity - No. 1142701 & Trade Mark - No. 2588652.

To unsubscribe from the GERMAN-STUDIES list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=GERMAN-STUDIES&A=1