Hi Matt,

Rather than offering answers I'll add to the pool of potential solutions, at least at the stage of inference: if at the between-subjects (group level) analysis your model allows for different intercepts and slopes for each of the sites, and you use one variance group per site, then you should be able to accommodate in the model the between-site variability (you'd use PALM for this).

All the best,

Anderson