Dear Yangmei,
If you are averaging runs with a mid-level analysis, where some runs measure A and some B. Then if the lower-level contrasts are of the form

Then a mid-level design averaging cope1, will result in the cope1.feat output folder containing the copes to import into the next level.

If your lower-level contrasts were of some different structure - e.g.

Then you’re mid-level design would need to work on both cope1 and cope2 inputs, with the copes to import into the next level being split between cope1.feat and cope2.feat.

Hope this helps,
Kind Regards
Matthew
Dr Matthew Webster