I agree!   Colleagues may be interested in my recent (2018)  book 'The Ecological University: A Feasible Utopia', which mentions both Murray Bookchin and Nick Maxwell (the founder of Friends of Wisdom).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecological-University-Feasible-Utopia/dp/1138720763
Universities continue to expand, bringing considerable debate about their purposes and relationship to the world. In The Ecological University, Ronald Barnett argues that universities are short of their potential and responsibilities in an ever-changing and challenging environment.. This book centres on the idea that the expansion of higher education has opened new spaces and possibilities.
www.amazon.co.uk
I'd much welcome any comments on it that colleagues may have.

Kindly
Ron Barnett

Ronald Barnett

Emeritus Professor of Higher Education, University College London Institute of Education

President of the Philosophy and Theory of Higher Education Society

Higher education consultant

Own website: http://www.ronaldbarnett.co.uk/

Just published:

*Ronald Barnett and SΨren Bengtsen, Knowledge and the University: Re-claiming Life (Routledge)

* Ronald Barnett and Norman Jackson  (eds) Learning Ecologies: Sightings, Possiblities, Emerging Practices (Routledge)

About to be published:

*Ronald Barnett and Amanda Fulford (eds), Philosophers on the University (Springer)

Also:

* My latest sole-authored work, 2018: 'The Ecological University: A Feasible Utopia' - Routledge.  It sets out my own idea of the university and it marks a significant point in my 40 year-long odyssey in helping to develop the philosophy of higher education.

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecological-University-Feasible-Utopia/dp/1138720763