Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a equivalence between the ideas of the Friends of wisdom and the concept of Social Ecology? Theres a big overlap of the views in terms of the use of science and its limitations without sufficient sociological and philosophical oversight.

Here's an excerpt from 'The Ecology Of Freedom' one of the seminal texts (though in aspects outdated, it was never intended to be authoritative and captures the essence of Social Ecology):

“The new consciousness and sensibility cannot be poetic alone; they must also be scientific. Indeed, there is a level at which our consciousness must be neither poetry nor science, but a transcendence of both into a new realm of theory and practice, an artfulness that combines fancy with reason, imagination with logic, vision with technique. We cannot shed our scientific heritage without returning to a rudimentary technology, with its shackles of material insecurity, toil, and renunciation. And we cannot allow ourselves to be imprisoned within a mechanistic outlook and a dehumanizing technology-with its shackles of alienation, competition, and a brute denial of humanity's potentialities. Poetry and imagination must be integrated with science and technology, for we have evolved beyond an innocence that can be nourished exclusively by myths and dreams.” -Murray Bookchin

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards,
Ben