Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Tuesday, 19 November 2019, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Yes the American move by Muldoon was indeed a disaster & strangely his knowledge of modern American culture was top class without going there. So in poetic terms he did not need America & would have suited another culture less alluring to him. But in the North of Ireland poetic stairway an Ivy League post is a career objective with one poet openly admitting it. The peace process has probably taken northern poets out of the spotlight with Seamus Heaney’s own life worth a political study or a few PHD’s. To have his level of fame was not easy in the shadow of the violence & it left him walking a tightrope.

The career aspect goes with the life of a modern poet with very few writing autobiographical books which used be standard practice in times past. We hear all too little about modern poetry in Asia or South America or Africa which used be all featured up to the nineteen seventies into the eighties. The 1989 changes in Europe seem to have neutralised East European poets who often were dissidents or regime critics.

Adonis indeed is famous with a big readership but no trace today of a Rod McKuen whose books sold millions of copies. No Leonard Cohen either or a Charles Bukowski in sight unless they exist unknown to me. “Coney Island Of The Mind” may well have sold a million copies but Lawrence Ferlinghetti when last I read of him had some bad vibes at the age of one hundred. No sympathy for the old when they say certain things or compassion for longevity in Lawrence’s case.

A fair few years ago in 1988 while waiting for a guest poet at Dublin Airport another poet who had arrived earlier commented on an Irish poet. His words “he’s writing the same poem over & over again” came to mind on “the dark collapse into mediocrity”. It may be par for the course but if one reads a Collected Poems one often can detect a decline. Another view could be a recycling of material or simply lack of subject matter?

In rock music many sixties icons burned out early after a few superb albums & singles but some did not break up. Many members died young leaving the survivors milk the vast nostalgia market decades after hitting their peak.

It’s a strange situation that the billionaire celebrities are Kardashian’s & their appeal is global. Their rise to fame had elements of chance but also obvious talent.

Kate Tempest is someone definitely making an impact & is well promoted. Pam Ayres is still with us & if the muse hits upon the Beckham’s we can expect poetry readings at Wembley or Old Trafford.

Exciting prospects!

Best

Sean

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail