Papers that advance the methodology of ABM would be very welcome at
AAMAS, or the associated journal JAAMAS. Since the focus of such a paper
would be on the computer science, the general tolerance of computer
science tenure panels for conference pubs would probably carry over. But
if your home discipline is other than computer science, you'd have to
ask people in your specific field.

But if your paper uses existing ABM methods to study some critical
question in your field, the paper would probably be rejected at
AAMAS/JAAMAS. In that case, you should seek publication in venues
appropriate to the field to which you're contributing, and you would
know best the relative weight of various venues. If the paper is dealing
with social science, for example, JASSS is a very well respected venue

On 10/23/19 03:50, Nicolas Malleson wrote:
> Hi SIMSOC,
>
> This question comes in two parts, although I doubt that either will have a good answer. I’m not even sure I can express them accurately, so apologies in advance.
>
> My first question is: does anyone have any recommendations for 'good publications’ (defined as you wish) for more technical/methodological agent-based modelling work? One example of this might be a paper that develops new optimisation algorithms for ABMs specifically, or one that proposes a computationally efficient way to structure ABM programs.
>
> The second, related, question is:  does anyone have a sense for how well ‘respected’ (again defined as you wish) peer-reviewed conference proceedings are in the ‘ABM community'? E.g. something like the AAMAS proceedings which, I understand, are quite rigorously reviewed. In the harder sciences it’s really common to publish work in proceedings, but less so in the softer sciences in my experience. Our work often sits on the fence. Maybe more precise questions are: “are you more/less likely to come across a paper if it is in proceedings rather than a journal?” and “would you look favourably on a candidate for a job who had large numbers of publications in proceedings rather than in traditional journals?”.
>
> All the best,
> Nick
>

> —
> Nick Malleson
> Professor of Spatial Science
> School of Geography, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT
> http://nickmalleson.co.uk/
> 0113 34 35248

H. Van Dyke Parunak, Ph.D.
President, ABC Research, LLC
<http://www.abcresearch.org>
Superior solutions through Agent-Based and Complex systems
1027 Ferdon Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-3630
email: [log in to unmask]
cell: 734 395 3253