On 30th Oct Dr Gemma Bale (UCL) shines light on the brain! Come see how she illuminates injury in infants

Weds 30th Oct 18:30 Institute of Physics, N19BU. Tea/coffee from 18:00

Abstract: Near-infrared spectroscopy is a technique to monitor changes in brain activity using infrared light. It is becoming an important tool in neuroscience and neurointensive care as it can monitor the activity and health of the brain in a safe, non-ionising, way. Infrared light can travel through the skull and into the brain, which means that we can use spectroscopy to identify molecules within the brain non-invasively. Important physiological molecules such as haemoglobin and cytochrome-c-oxidase, an enzyme within the mitochondria, have oxygenation-dependent spectra so we can monitor changes in blood oxygenation and metabolism using light. This lecture will cover a broad range of topics to reflect the multidisciplinary nature of medical physics. In particular: the physics of light transport through tissue, the engineering of optical medical devices, the physiology of the brain in health and disease, and how these link together. I will show new developments from my own research, brain injury in new-born babies, and discuss the future of optics in medicine

Twitter: https://lnkd.in/e8wGNYV

Register here: https://lnkd.in/ek4sfuq

Best wishes

Mark

Dr Mark Telling

Vice President (membership), Institute of Physics

********************************************************************** psci-com how-to: Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask] If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe (or silence messages while away) send an email (any subject) to [log in to unmask] with one of the following messages (ignoring text in brackets) • signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages) Contact list owner at [log in to unmask] Small print and JISCMail acceptable use policy https://sites.google.com/site/pscicomjiscmail/the-small-print Contact Jisc Helpline: Email: [log in to unmask], Telephone: 0300 300 2212 **********************************************************************