Hi All

Does anyone have any recommendations for libraries in historic buildings which have successfully created appropriate environmental conditions for rare books and special collections? We are about to begin the detailed planning for the refurbishment of the Courtauld Institute of Art's library as part of the second phase of the ambitious Courtauld Connects project. Although we are constrained by the historic nature of Somerset House I am keen to ensure we adopt appropriate standards for storing our collections. I am compiling a list of reference sites for our architect and project team to visit so would welcome any suggestions.

I would also be very interested to hear from anyone whose special collections are held in remote stores and are offering a retrieval service for this material.

Kind regards

Robin

Robin Armstrong Viner
Head of Library Services

Courtauld Institute of Art, University of London
Vernon Square, Penton Rise, London WC1X 9EW

T: +44 (0)20 3947 7634
E: [log in to unmask]

Pronouns: He/ Him

[...]

The Courtauld will be closed from Monday 24 December, reopening on Tuesday 2 January

The Courtauld is undergoing a major redevelopment project, Courtauld Connects, which will transform our teaching and learning, Gallery and social spaces.

From January 2019, teaching and learning, including Research Forum and Public Programmes classes and events, will be temporarily relocated to our new campus at Vernon Square, Penton Rise, King’s Cross, London WC1X 9EW.

The Courtauld Collection. A Vision for Impressionism now open at the Fondation Louis Vuitton, Paris from 20 February to 17 June 2019.

www.courtauld.ac.uk