Well, in this case, I'd say they had done nothing wrong and all their expressions were appropriate.

Get Outlook for Android

________________________________
From: European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing - discussions <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Mahvesh Khan <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 1:17:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Grammatically confused

[External Email]
Thank you so much for your kind and comprehensive reply, Mary Ellen.

The students were asked to interview their parents and grandparents or four people from these generations. They submitted a report on their findings. The purposes were language learning (comprehension, notes, summaries and written expression) along with an introduction to primary research. The ability to translate their first language into English was another necessary skill for this assignment.

The students are in their first year at business school.

Best regards,
Mahveshy