I agree with Natalie, both on the particular question of point of view, and on her general comments about the need for clear writing, and avoiding complex language just for the sake of sounding stylish. We may need to use complex language to convey complex ideas, but we should teach our students to use the simplest and shortest sentences possible to convey that idea.

Concerning “ideas”, new or otherwise, we have to differentiate a bit between student exercises and professional writing, and also between the “hard sciences” and other academic writing. The following comments pertain to professional “hard” scientific writing.

Most published science papers are in the genre of “research reports”. The research report focuses on scientific “results” – facts which can be reproduced by other scientists following the procedure given by the author. The heart of the paper, the Methodology and Results sections (under various names) report what the author did, and what he or she got or observed. This is essentially a pile of “information”. We may want to call these “scientific ideas”, and the author may have had to be quite scientifically novel to produce them, but I don’t think they equate with the ideas that Natalie discusses. This is followed by a Discussion, which hopefully converts this information into “knowledge”, by explaining and interpreting the results. Here the author’s opinions come into play. The gold standard to which science aspires is to “prove” an explanation, but this is possible in exceedingly rare cases. The greatest challenge in teaching scientific writing is teaching the students to use appropriate language to correctly convey the relative degree of certainty/uncertainty of the ideas that they express in the Discussion. This requires that the student first of all understand the degree of certainty/uncertainty.

Two caveats re. “ideas” in the context of research reports:

1.       While almost all research reports will convey information, not all will convey knowledge or “ideas” in Natalie’s terms. Think about a new scientific phenomena or field as big jig-saw puzzle. A single research report might turn up one piece of the puzzle, e.g. a result. Maybe the author can fit it together with other pieces in the Discussion. But even if she can’t, the report may have publishable value. We can leave the task of putting together the pieces to when more pieces are available, i.e. published.

2.       Scientists need to be extremely skeptical of “new ideas”. While a really new idea may be a true scientific breakthrough that causes a revolutionary change in our understanding, and earns their author a Nobel prize, overwhelmingly most are simply errors. Accordingly we need to teach young scientists to be extremely careful in their work. If they get a result that contradicts accepted understanding, they must carefully check their results and repeat them.

The writing genre where the question of point of view comes up is the “review paper”. These are a small fraction of the published papers that only  review the past work and progress in some particular specialized field (i.e. the published research reports in the field), but do not report new results. Here the author of the review paper will first of all summarily report the results, and likely the “ideas” (interpretations and explanations) of the various research report authors. But in good review papers, the review paper author will try to make sense of all of these reported results and ideas, i.e. he will be expressing his own ideas. Clearly the review paper author must use appropriate tools (i.e. geographical placement and appropriate language) so that the reader knows which ideas are from the various research report authors, and which are from the review paper author.

Regards,

Ray Boxman

From the home of

Prof. Emeritus Raymond (Reuven) Boxman