Experts from across Europe have gathered in Dresden to find ways of using the continent's wealth of historical documents to create a picture of the past.

Computer scientists, historians and archivists came to the east German city to discuss Time Machine, a research project that uses artificial intelligence to help us better understand Europe's cultural heritage.

Virtual worlds are at the centre of their plans, similar to a reconstruction of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris that visitors can already use.

There are 5,000 years of European history out there — in the form of archeological finds, birth records, church documents or wills — that digital tools and AI can help us exploit.

http://bit.ly/2PqOnDJ
http://bit.ly/2PqOnDJ+

--
Peterk