Hello everyone,

Last year, I moved into a new professional area - the fascinating area of policy for cyber security skills for the UK, working in the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport in the National Cyber Security Programme.  I’m the policy lead for 5-19 yr cyber education and, amongst other things, I’m responsible for the Government’s £20m Cyber Discovery programme which seeks to excite and inform young people about cyber security.

The programme may be of interest to list members who work with young people in STEM - so please see below, and of course, grateful if you could forward to anyone in your networks who may be interested.

Thanks
Juliet

Juliet Upton
Cyber Security Skills and Professionalisation Policy Lead
Cyber Security and Data Directorate
Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
4th Floor, 100 Parliament Street,
London
SW1A 2BQ
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 07517 988288

Join 16,000 young people across the UK on their cyber journey

Are you one of the thousands of talented teenagers across the UK who might become one of the UK’s future cyber security experts?  Are you just waiting to be discovered?

Cyber security is one of the most exciting industries in the world, that’s growing every year - and with a global cyber security skills shortage, you’re on target to a well-paid job from the get-go!

Now into its third year, the Cyber Discovery programme exists to uncover, support, and train a new generation in one of the most in-demand skillsets in the UK. We’ve been delighted to see so many young people engaging across the range of CyberFirst <http://www.ncsc.gov.uk/> activities, that the UK Government runs.  Cyber Discovery <http://www.joincyberdiscovery.com/> is one of those activities and has reached over 40,000 students already.  It's a free, online extracurricular programme to teach cyber security skills to students aged between 13 and 18 across the UK.

So, whether you learn best through traditional learning techniques or prefer games and quizzes, Cyber Discovery uses a range of methods to engage everyone.  Here’s what a couple of students who joined last year said:  "The overall programme was eye-opening for me. I explored in-depth how easily cyber criminals can gain access to your data and the techniques they use, and I learned valuable skills that go way beyond GCSE and A-Level."  And: “CyberStart Game is like nothing I've ever seen before. It was an absolute god-send for someone new to the industry, and for it to be free was the icing on the cake."

There are four programme stages – with the first, CyberStart Assess, now open.  But hurry… this one closes on 25 October – and if you don’t try your hand at this one, you won’t be able to access the others!  Put your problem-solving skills to the test with a range of fun, interactive challenges where you’ll try out cracking codes and solving tricky problems.

If you’ve got through a certain number of challenges in CyberStart Assess, you’ll move on to , CyberStart Game to take on the role of a security agent and learn to crack codes, including security laws and dissect criminals’ digital trails.  In CyberStart Essentials, you can show us your skills in Game to get access to hundreds of hours of content. Train your brain to think like an expert with interactive labs, videos, exams, and quizzes.

And finally, for those students who really excel… CyberStart Elite, which runs in the summer of 2020.  Top-performing students will be invited to exciting face-to-face residential camps to meet industry experts and take part in top-class training.

Register now  - Go to https://www.joincyberdiscovery.com/ <https://www.joincyberdiscovery.com/>

psci-com how-to:
Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask] If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list)

Contact Jisc Helpline: Email: [log in to unmask], Telephone: 0300 300 2212