Dear Richard,

Bellitto is using a cautious phrasing ("as some claim"), and his reference to this date is only a mocking one. You too in your list posting had used exemplary caution when suggesting that the date of Philip's raid "could very well be one reason, though speculative, that people first began to consider Friday the 13th an unlucky day" (emphasis mine).

I instead should have used a bit more caution when claiming that there was "obviously no way to link any of these traditions [regarding Friday and regarding the number 13] back to the day of the first raid against the Knight Templars on Friday, 13 october 1307.

In the meantime, Roberto has pointed out that the notion of Friday as a day of "mischance" (Chaucer) is actually documented for the 14th century. And I have to add that this notion was actually applied also to the date in question. Raynouard (Les Templiers. Tragédie, 3rd ed., Vienne: Schrämbl, 1818), in one of the annotations to his Appendix "Monumens historiques", quotes a medieval rhyme chronicle (I have not yet identified his source) where it is stated as a possibly significant fact, though without explaining its significance, that the day of this raid was a Friday (p. 181 n. 1):

"En cel an qu'ai dist or endroit / Et ne sai a tort ou a droit / Furent li Templiers sans doutance / Tous pris par le Royaume de France / Au mois d'octobre, au point du jor / Et un vendredi fut le jor".

Geoffroi de Paris (died ca. 1320), author of a similar and textually closely related chronicle published by Jean Alexandre Buchon (in: Collection des chroniques nationales françaises, IX, Paris: Verdière, 1827), is more explicit about the significance of this Friday, when he associates it with the Friday of the crucifixion of Christ and suggests it as a retribution for the Templars' having sinned even worse than the Jews:

"En cel an qu'ai dist orendroit, / Je ne sai à tort ou à droit, / Furent li templiers sans doutance / Tous pris par le royaume de France. / Ou mois d'octembre, ou point du jour, / A un vendredi, fust le jour / Que furent pris, si com j'ai dict, / Au jor que Diex en crois pendist. / Bien gaaingné l'avoïent celz, / Se voirs estoit qu'en disoit d'elz, / [...] S'il est voir, ne tel mauvestié / Fète ne fu, comme il faisoient; / Car pires des Juïs estoient" (p. 132, vv. 3818ss.).

Neither author, however, quotes this Friday as the 13th day of October, and I also still lack medieval evidence for the number 13 as a portentous or auspicious one in other contexts.

Yet I can supply a few more first dates for the post-medieval development. The first I can quote to have mentioned the fear of Friday in close textual context with the fear of being “a thirteenth” (to be understood: at dinner or at another reunion) is not Louis de Boissy (1732), but Michel de Montainge in the third book (first published in 1588) of his Essais (III.8, quoted by me from the 5th ed. Paris: Abel l’Angelier, 1588, f. 406r-v), where he explains both as an aversion against impair numbers (5 and 13) and describes these attitudes, together with others, as being not personal idiosyncrasies, but ‘dreams’ of old women held to be truthful by contemporaries of his and of his readers (“en credit autour de nous”):

"Nous autres qui priuons nostre iugement du droict de faire des arrests, regardons mollement les opinions diuerses, & si nous n’y prestons le iugement, nous y prestons aiséement l’oreille. Ou l’vn plat est vuide du tout en la bala(n)ce, ie laisse vaciller l’autre, sous les so(n)ges d’vine vielle. Et me semble estre excusable, si ie suis plustost le no[m]bre impair: le ieudy au pris du vendredy: si ie m’aime mieux douxiesme ou quatorziesme, que treziesme à table: si ie vois plus volontiers un liéuvre [a hare] costoyant, que trauersant mon chemin, quand ie voyage: & donne plustost le pied gauche, que le droict, a chausser. Toutes telles rauasseries, qui sont en credit autour de nous, meritent, aumoins qu’on les escoute. Pour moy, elles emportent seulement l’inanité, mais elles l’emportent. Encores ont en poids, les opinions vulgaires & casuelles, autre chose, que rien, en nature. Et qui ne s’y laisse aller iusques la, tombe à l’auanture au vice de l’opiniastreté, pour euiter celuy de la superstition.

This passage in Montaigne, remarkable in its openmindedness, is also at present still my earliest (European) evidence of a negative interpretation of the number 13. One or a few years later Ètienne Pasquier in a letter on the death of Henri III (died 2 Agust 1589) claims that the fear of the letal consequences of being “treize à table” was a “nouuelle superstition, qui s’est insinuee depuis quelques annees dedans ceste France”: he uses it for deriving from it a more general fatal meaning of this number, when he finds the sinister end of his king foreshadowed by his number as 13th king of France after Charles de Valois (Les Lettres d’Estienne Pasquier, t. II, Paris: Jean Petit, 1669, p. 147).

The first I have referring to a Friday 13th as a portentous date is not Albitte-Lubize (1836), but Jean-Baptiste Louvet de Couvray in the second revised and enlarged edition (the first, published in 1786-1790, was not available to me) of his Vie et Amours du Chevalier de Faublas, t. VI, London / Paris: Bailly, 1790, p. 31s., where he in a satirical context tells a spooky tale about a murder “l’an 1773, vendredi 13 Octobre” with a fatal “concours de plusieurs nombres treize”: Lucas, a farmer, after having drunk “treize pleins verres de vin nouveau”, “à huit heures treize minutes du soir”, returns to his farm where his wife Lisette is suffering from an indigestion for having eaten “une petite [sic!] omelette au rognon de treize oeufs” and drunken only water. When they beginn to quarrell, she throws “treize assiettes à la tête de Lucas” and is then killed by him with “treize coups de broc” . Lucas, feeling regret, plunges his head into a tub of water or wine and is dead “au bout de treize secondes”; his farm afterwards becomes a haunted place. Given that this tale is meant to illustrate the fatality of the number 13 (“que le concours de plusieurs nombres treize est toujours fatal” p. 31) but does not mention also Friday in explicit form as a fatal day, one might hesitate to accept this as a true ‘first’. In this case, my next more explicit witness would be Alfred de Vigny, Cinq Mars, t. I, Paris: Urbain Canel, 1826, p. 11, where a “jeune Italienne” exclaims:

Santa Maria! je vous plains de voyager aujourd’hui! partir un vendredi, le 13 du mois, et le jour de saint Gervas et saint Protais, le jour de deux martyrs!

As regards the history of the Templars, the first I can quote to have stated the date of their raid as a fatal friday coinciding with a fatal 13th day is not Döllinger 1889 (who is anyway not explicit about this day being a Friday), but Élizé de Montagnac, Histoire des Chevaliers Templiers et de leurs prétendus successeurs, Paris: Auguste Aubry, 1864, who requotes the rhyme chronicle already quoted by Raynouard (“Et un vendredi fut le jour”) and adds as his own comment: “Un vendredi et un treize! Quelle date de mauvais augure!” (p. 45).

Kind regards (and apologies to all who think that this subject is not sufficiently medieval for being discussed at such length on this list!), O.