Call for Contributions to methods@manchester Methods Fair 2019

methods@manchester is delighted to announce their annual Methods Fair Creativity in Social Science Research will be held on 28th October 2019 at The University of Manchester.

Building on the success of the 2017 Methods Fair, which focused on creative ways of presenting research findings and engaging audiences, this year’s theme explores creativity in the methods researchers use and how creativity can enhance research practices, including data generation, recording, analysis and data presentation.

Creative research methods have developed and multiplied in recent decades, providing alternative ways of knowing and understanding the world, as well as answering complex research questions that cannot be achieved by traditional methods alone. However, researchers are also being creative with conventional research methods and approaches to analysis. We aim to showcase the various ways creativity drives all kinds of social science research and methodologies, from the conception of an idea, to creative ways of generating, collecting, recording, analysing and presenting data.

We request abstracts (no more than 200 words) for 20-minute presentations to be submitted about how creativity is applied in social science research and the benefits and challenges it brings. We invite presentations discussing arts-based qualitative research approaches, as well as presentations about creative applications and developments of traditional quantitative and qualitative methods, data analysis and presentation.

We also request abstracts (no more than 100 words) for alternative format presentations. These can be a photograph, artwork, infographic or poster, which will facilitate a discussion about creativity in social science research, including but not limited to any of the following areas: research design, methods, analysis of findings, outputs or researcher experience. Prizes will be awarded for some of these presentations.

For all presentations, we particularly encourage submissions from, but do not limit to, PGR students and ECRs at The University of Manchester and our partner institutions (The University of Liverpool, The University of Lancaster and Keele University). Please email your abstract(s) to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by 20th September 2019 indicating if it is for a 20-minute and/or alternative format presentation. If you would like to Chair a stream, please let us know when you submit your abstract.

methods@manchester
https://www.methods.manchester.ac.uk/