There's a radically different meaning to the phrases "artificial
intelligence" and "general intelligence".

AI is all over everything we do already, whether it's Googling for
something or using a tool to generate non-real faces for brochures or
whatever [https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/].

I don't think we can even begin to predict what will happen when (I think
Nick is likely to be way off with the driving example - think about how far
we've come in the 25 years since 1994 - I was excited about a single
horizontal line representing a flight simulator on my Amstrad micro back
then). As with anything future gazey we have literally no idea, but we do
know that the rate of increase is tremendous. For some it's scary - it
seems entirely likely that "mundane" jobs (anything involving
classification / sorting / managing large datasets / Excel monkeys - or
driving...) will simply be removed. Curation at one level is exactly this
[remembering the curator at the Science Museum who was deeply excited by
the x thousand scalpel collection, all of which were basically the same] -
but at another it's what Tony says, stories.

I don't think we'll see real, deep storytelling done by AI anytime soon,
but don't be under the illusion that the robots aren't coming for that
stuff too [
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:24eRPVYpS80J:https://www.thedrum.com/opinion/2019/01/22/neural-storytelling-how-ai-attempting-content-creation+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
]

I do think it's kind of weird that more museums aren't making the most of
machine classification. Maybe 1) they are but aren't shouting about it or
2) are ostriching the fact that machines are better at it than we are...

cheers

Mike

*Mike Ellis *

Thirty8 Digital: a small but perfectly formed digital agency:
http://thirty8.co.uk

* Workshops, courses and free downloads: http://trainingdigital.co.uk *