And the delight of upgrading from a typewriter with foam cups to shove the phone handset into to a proper, green-screen computer! And doing the search via a burbly modem.

Regards

Mike

From: UK medical / health care library community / information workers <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of KERR, Mark (EAST KENT HOSPITALS UNIVERSITY NHS FOUNDATION TRUST)
Sent: 04 September 2019 16:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: literature searching / obtaining articles in the olden days

The five stages of searching (1980-ish onwards, earlier experiences will be available somewhgere!)– others will be able to flesh out the details perhaps – I remember cutting my fingers on the indexes as they were printed on bible paper, 2,000+ pages per volume or thereabouts:

Thick volumes of Indexus Medicus on shelves, with citations (and possibly abstracts)

Medline on CD-ROM sent every quarter

Dialog on a dial up dedicated telephone line (acoustic coupler) to Switzerland at £90.00 per hour so one trained librarian who jealously guarded the login details could query the database and get a long printout of citations

Dialog then subscriber access over internet to access Medline

And then, finally, PubMed and access for all (still restricted for full database access of course, as now), mediated by Ovid or whoever

You could apply that to the cartoon image of the evolution of mankind I expect, if you try hard!

Kind regards,

Mark.

Kind regards,

Mark.

Mark Kerr

Clinical Librarian, East Kent Hospitals

[log in to unmask]  x723-8414 (or 01233 616695)

newsletter | website | twitter | facebook

Library and Knowledge Services

East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust