As the dataset behind PastScape is dynamic (and will continue to be even though PastScape itself as a delivery mechanism is frozen) a point in time view of the records will immediately become out of date. All the terrestrial records are being integrated with those of the relevant HER and it is a condition of this transfer that the HER is on the Heritage Gateway, which will itself be improved. As a result of this 5 year project all HER’s will be on the improved Heritage Gateway and contain all the information currently on PastScape. The marine record will continue to be maintained and made available by HE replacing PastScape, and will itself be made available via the Heritage Gateway. The question of redirects from PastScape are handled will be considered as part of this project once it starts.

Martin

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andy Burnham
Sent: 13 September 2019 13:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [HERFORUM] Pastscape due to be shut down shortly??

Hello Martin,
Thanks very much for that good news, as I say Pastscape is still very much in use out here.

I can understand that HE don't want to be responsible for maintaining out of date information - but it would be much preferable either to keep Pastscape up as an archive with a disclaimer saying 'Kept for Archive only', which is what the BBC do with their old pages.

Alternatively/better can we request some sort of redirect is implemented  based on the HOB UIDs from the old Pastscape links, eg ones of this form
https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1228510

As I say we have probably several thousand of links like these to specific Pastscape pages which it would be a great shame to destroy (not to mention the web traffic you would lose)

Many Thanks
Andy

Our New Book: THE OLD STONES awarded
*** Current Archaeology Book of the Year! ***
The Megalithic Portal http://www.megalithic.co.uk<http://www.megalithic.co.uk/>
Independent, non-profit making web site and society