Good question!

I hadn’t heard of a humble address until this week so I don’t know the parameters for that but I’ve had DPA (and FOI) in my head while thinking of it. The request could have been better worded, but at the same time I think the requester was trying to avoid giving a loophole. It feels like the request can be parsed to the benefit of both sides of the argument, but I think it should be answered in some form.

It is in the public domain that those people work for the government and work on the subject of prorogation so naming them in the request is reasonable.

I also don’t think the request is necessarily meant to cover, as Gove states that it does, to “seek to understand the private views of those individuals.”. The context of the request is for work-related information, including professional advice from people employed for that purpose, that may happen to be on personal devices. Which is not unreasonable to want to cover, given previous evidence of government using private accounts to avoid proper scrutiny.

I don’t think the request is meant to cover the private, “God, Mum, prorogation’s a pain” stuff, and it may be seen as somewhat disingenuous of the government to imply that it does. It depends on what the requester meant and what impact humble address has, but I wasn’t expecting a full-scale confiscation of devices/accounts.

The lawful basis depends on how humble addresses works. If the disclosure is now required by law then that provides a lawful basis. If it doesn’t, I can see arguments for public interest in both Art 6 and 9. Could 9(f) apply?

I too, am interested in hearing from colleagues with their views.

Victoria Blyth
Information Strategy Manager

Information Management Team
London Borough of Barnet,