Hi,

In similar cases we find that what works in Relion is to have starting model filtered to about 8 A (even 10 A might not work), so that helices are visible.

Also you need a tight mask excluding micelle and of course use fsc_solvent option.

Also you need more particles (than with larger soluble proteins) - often 30-50K fails completely in such cases (~ 12 A final), but 100K or more of similar particles works to get high resolution (<4 A).

Best

Leonid