Dear Colleagues,

*****JUST ONE WEEK TO GO*****

This is the final call for articles: 'Decolonizing the art library'. The *Art
Libraries Journal* is seeking submissions from libraries who have embarked
on substantive ways to address the historic and contemporary
marginalization and omission of colonized peoples. Projects can be
under-way or completed, and from anywhere in the world. Perhaps you
presented a project at the ARLIS/UK & Ireland conference in Glasgow and
would like to turn it into an article. Possible topics include aspects of
collection management, cataloguing, information or visual literacy, user
outreach, or personnel. It is not just about book shelves, but also our
databases, service desks, even the fundamental art discourses in our
institutions.

This will be the topic for the IFLA Art Libraries Section satellite meeting
in conjunction with the IFLA WLIC next year in Dublin. The planning for
that is only just underway and I am not sure when their call for papers
will go out. However, at this year's section meeting in Athens, I alerted
them to the fact that this issue is being planned for late 2020 and they
were very supportive. As some of you may know, the *Art Libraries Journal* has
a long tradition of publishing papers from the Art Libraries Section at the
IFLA WLIC. So if you are thinking about submitting a paper for the
satellite meeting, please also consider submitting an abstract now for
consideration in this special issue of the journal.

The issue is slated for publication in autumn 2020, so after the Congress.
It will be jointly edited by Daniel Payne of OCAD University, Toronto and
*ALJ* editor Erica Foden-Lenahan. We see this a complement to the recent
*ALJ* issue on critical librarianship (vol.44, no.2, 2019), which
introduced the topic of reflection on various aspects of library practice
that have embodied the structures of colonization, domination over, and
marginalization of many people in our societies.

This issue seeks to move beyond theory, to publish tangible examples of
libraries' efforts to redress colonial legacies. Although these histories
vary widely throughout the world, it is hoped this issue would provide
practical examples to inspire and motivate others to identify and tackle
these legacies in art and museum libraries.

Please send a short description of your article proposal to Erica
Foden-Lenahan ([log in to unmask]) by the end of September and we would
aim to notify contributors before 1 November, with an article submission
deadline of 1 April 2020.

Please forward this call on to other lists where you think there would be
interest.

Best wishes,

Erica Foden-Lenahan

Editor, Art Libraries Journal

Staatliche Akademie der Bildenden Künste Karlsruhe

Visit the official page of ARLIS UK & Ireland http://www.arlis.net/Home. Subscribe to https://arlismatters.wordpress.com/, to receive regular posts on art library and archive matters; news, print and digital art and design resources, artists’ books, recent and upcoming events and exhibitions, ARLIS/UK & Ireland publications, job listings and professional profiles.