#apologies for cross-posting#

Dear colleagues,

I am writing to remind you that there are still places available at our the forthcoming conference, Opening up the Archives: Disability History and Heritage Conference, to held at the Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability (RHN), Putney, London on 4 October 2019.

This conference marks the official opening of the RHN Archive Service.

A programme of talks will explore aspects of disability history, with a particular focus on Victorian state and philanthropic response to long-term disability and the understanding and experience of ‘incurability’ in the 19th century.

Attendees will have an opportunity to explore the history of the RHN for themselves through afternoon activities including heritage talks, archive handling sessions and guided tours.

The programme for the day can be seen below:

09:30-09:50 – Registration and Tea/ Coffee

09:50-10:00 – Opening Remarks

10:00-11:30 – Session 1: Care and treatment of people with learning difficulties in Victorian Asylums
Dr Stef Eastoe, ‘'I'm barmy me...'. Uncovering the lives, voices and experiences of the incurably insane in the Victorian long-stay asylum.’
Dr Simon Jarrett, ‘Scientific Research in the Nineteenth Century Asylum; the cases of Dr Down and Dr Ferrier’
Ian Jones-Healey, ‘The Royal Eastwood Asylum’

11:30-11:45 – Break

11:45-13:15 – Session 2: 19th century institutions for disability and chronic illness
Dr Paul Carter, “She… is likely to be a burden as long as she lives”: Lives of the Nineteenth Century Poor Sick
Dr Alex Tankard, ‘John Keats and Aubrey Beardsley: Living with Tuberculosis across the Nineteenth Century’
Felicity McKee, ‘Invisible disability in the 19th century’

13:15-14:00 – Lunch

14:00-15:15 – Session 3: History and Heritage of RHN and Royal Hospital of Donnybrook
Chris Olver, ‘The early history and heritage of the Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability#
Dr Keith Andrews, ‘From Victorian Incurable to Elizabethan Enabled’
Stephen McCormac, ‘A history of the Royal Hospital, Donnybrook, Dublin: the first hospital for “incurables” established in United Kingdom and Ireland.’

15:30-16:30 – Archive Handling session and guided tours

16:30-16:40 – Closing Remarks

The conference is co-sponsored by the RHN Archive Service and the Wellcome Trust-funded Surgery & Emotion project, based at the University of Roehampton.

The conference is £30. To attend, please complete the registration form via the link below:
https://www.rhn.org.uk/events/opening-up-the-archives-disability-history-and-heritage-conference-to-mark-the-opening-of-the-rhn-archive-service/

Kind regards,

Chris Olver
Archivist