Dear all,

please find below links to an open letter and to a petition, that
colleagues at a number of European universities have compiled upon a next
serious assault on education and research on EU level.

To put it briefly, the name of the new commission no longer contains
‘education and research’ – the commissioner in charge is now simply named
the Commissioner for “Innovation and Youth”...

The aim is to collect at least 10 000 signatures of scholars concerned with
this really dramatic change, so telling for the direction in which higher
education is moving (or rather is being derailed).

Thanks for signing and sharing widely within your networks.

Yours,
Mariya

Dr Mariya Ivancheva
Lecturer in Higher Education Studies, University of Liverpool
European Association of Social Anthropology - member of executive committee

--

*Dear Colleague,We are writing you for the following reason: the candidates
for the newEU commissioners were presented last week. In the  new
commission theareas of education and research are not explicitly
 represented anymoreand instead are subsumed under the "innovation and
 youth" title.This emphasizes economic exploitability (i.e. "innovation")
over itsfoundation, which is education and research, and it reduces
“education”to “youth” while being essential to all ages.We, as members of
the scientific community of Europe, wish to addressthis situation early on
and emphasize both to the general public, aswell as to relevant politicians
on the national and European Unionlevel, that without dedication to
education and research there willneither exist a sound basis for innovation
in Europe, nor can we fulfillthe promise of a high standard of living for
the citizens of Europe in afierce global competition.President von der
Leyen, in her mission letter to commissioner Gabriel
<https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/mission-letter-ma
riya-gabriel-2019_en.pdf>, has emphasized that “education, research and
innovation will be key to our competitiveness”.We have prepared an open
letter at*

*www.futureofresearch.eu <http://www.futureofresearch.eu> to demand that
the EU commission revises the title for commissionerGabriel to “Education,
Research, Innovation and Youth” reflectingEurope’s dedication to all of
these crucial areas. We also call upon theEuropean Parliament to request
this change in name before confirming the nominees for commissioner.Please
support this letter by going towww.futureofresearch.eu
<http://www.futureofresearch.eu>and signing up as supporter on line.With
best regards,Prof. Dr. Siegfried Bethke             (MPI for Physics)Prof.
Dr. Nora Brambilla                (TU-München)Prof. Dr. Aldo Deandrea
         (U-Lyon 1)Prof. Dr. Carlo Guaraldo                (INFN
Frascati)Prof. Dr. Luciano Maiani               (U-Roma La Sapienza)Prof.
Dr. Antonio Pich                   (U-València)Prof. Dr. Alexander Rothkopf
      (U-Stavanger)Prof. Dr. Johanna Stachel             (U-Heidelberg)*

--
M.

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/Anthropology-Matters   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers *

To unsubscribe please click here:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS&A=1