In ancient Egypt forelimbs were preferred (cattle) as offerings as they were associated with the god Seth and his constellation, and were thus offered. Also, when one slaughters an animal by cutting the carotid, one can use the foreleg, particularly the left one, as a handle to pump out the blood so that there is less chance of spoilage in a hot climate. Hi Inbar!

Salima Ikram
Distinguished University Professor
Egyptology Unit Head
American University in Cairo
2074 Prince Alwaleed (HUSS)
Dept. of Sociology, Egyptology and Anthropology
AUC Avenue, PO Box 74
Tagammu 5, New Cairo 11835, Egypt
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]
Ph: 02 2615-1840