From: Nohrnberg, James C (jcn) <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 4:36 PM
To: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: question

Dolor, sorrow, dejection; adj. doleful, sorrowful, sad.  Tristicia is a Latin word found in Cicero and is a concept, as in Tuscan Disputations, IV.viii.18f, that thereafter comes into Christian thought sub the vice of accidie (wanhope etc.), as in Chaucer' Parson's Tale and Gower's Confessio Amantis IV.3389ff. This root for "sad" is found fairly often in various forms in Dante's Commedia.  Earlier, in the OF Prose Lancelot, ch. I, it is offered as the origin of Tristan's name (so he is "christened", I guess), and that origin is played on in some places in the ensuing tale, e.g., ch. XI, Vez qui Tristan qui en tristece vos metra "Behold Tristan, who'll bring sorrow on you."  The Christian tradition, with sources and citations (esp, patristic), is treated in Analogy 'FQ' 317-321.  See also tristicia accidiosa at VII.205, p.245, of S. Wenzel, ed. Summa Virtutem Remediis Anime etc. (Athens, GA 1984).  I could go on, but I'm tired of fighting the tyrannous and idiotic autocorrect: From this evil, good Lord, deliver me.   (I also have to finish the laundry and make the beds, etc., and the night comes wherein no man can work.)

James Nohrnberg, Prof. Emeritus
Univ. of Virginia
Dept. of English / Bryan Hall 209
P.O. Box 400121