At Prose Lancelot I meant Prose Tristran/m ca 1320 when it started.  Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 28, 2019, at 3:58 AM, Elisabeth Chaghafi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Just to be Captain Obvious here, but in the context of poetry, considerations of metre and rhyme are likely to come into it as well, of course. Which is probably one reason why Spenser never actually uses "sorrowfulness" to my knowledge (For poets reap much dolour and distresse / By that syllabic monster "sorr'wfulnesse".)

The fact that he doesn't use "sadnesse" is perhaps more interesting, I think, because it's a metrically convenient word that can be made to rhyme with lots of things, so Spenser could quite easily have used it as a substitute for most of his "sorrow"s. Except he didn't. Those four uses are once in Book II (to refer to Prays-desire's "spilling her faire beautie with sadnesse"), twice in one of the sonnets from Amoretti (where I suspect its main function is to rhyme with, and be connected to, "madnes" and "gladnesse" respectively) and once in the Hymne of Heavenly Beautie, where it's used for an internal rhyme with "basenesse". It also appears once in the generall argument of The Shepheardes Calender, but Osgood probably didn't count that because that's technically "E.K." speaking.
"Sad", on the other hand, is a word that in the late 16th century could be used to express a wider range of meanings than today (plus it only has one syllable and rhymes with a lot of words, which is clearly a bonus from a compositional point of view), so perhaps Spenser wasn't such a sad case after all...