As always, I think Donald hits the nail on the head here- and twice in fact.

  1. Personal information on OneDrive

This speaks to the Organisaton’s thoughts on personal information being on the Organisation’s platforms.  I have seen 2 managed approaches here- a simple ‘no’ – which is clear and unequivocal- and a ‘yes’ with conditions. Each has its merits- and each has its risks- not least, in the case of the simple ‘no’ that folk will have stuff there but will stash it somewhere.  A mitigation here could be staff taking up personal 365 accounts- but that in itself opens up issues as this can become a very easily mistaken location for the organisation’s stuff.

I think the key thing here-as with all O365 things, is to decide on a definite set-up. Leaving things ‘native’ is, from an Information Governance PoV (and this seems to be the one thing that everyone can agree on- although the words used change depending on the person)…an unmitigated disaster in waiting…

  1. Retention?

Putting retention in place seems like a very sensible thing to do here- whatever use you make of OneDrive. My organisation has gone for 2 years- within a OneDrive set up of allowing Services (Departments) choosing what they allow staff to use OneDrive for any of a number of defined uses- including personal space. Some services, for instance, are allowing early development of draft documents for instance.  Others have decided to most definitely NOT allow that.

There is also a third factor

  1. How much space?

As with 2 above, whatever you are going to use it for, throttling back the storage capacity seems like a sensible plan- to prevent both the bulk dumping of who knows what work stuff in there and also to head off at the pass staff members thinking that work OneDrive is just the place for their music and/or photo collections (it being cloud-based and free and all)…

Ultimately, I think we are faced with a platform in O365 that is challenging in the extreme.  Reading what peeps are saying, and seeing what is being achieved, I would pitch effective IG at around 30% configuration (ie things that we can put in place on the platform) and 70% behaviours…

We are told that it is not an issue to ask staff members to add labels that assign characteristics at document level- and that this is ‘the way’ of it.

Anyone who has, over the past 20 years, worked with staff member level meta data tagging of any sort (because this is what this is), may share my views on that… vis a vis I would refer all to the consultancy firm Norfolk and Likely…

Meic