Dear all,
This is just a quick e-mail to say thank you to all who responded - this list is a wonderful resource!
Best,
Katherine

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019 at 05:10, Paul Chandler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The same creeds which say that the eternal Word was "begotten, not made", also say that Christ incarnate was generated and born of the Virgin Mary: "natus ex Maria Virgine" (Apostles' Creed); "ex substantia matris in saeculo natus" (Athanasian Creed / Quicumque vult); "et incarnatus est de Spíritu Sancto ex María Vírgine, et homo factus est" (Nicene Creed). Early Fathers such as Ignatius of Antioch emphasise that Christ "is truly of the race of David according to the flesh" (Letter to the Smyrneans 1.1, alluding to Romans 1:3). Possibly your author is simply reflecting the language of the Nicene creed "and was made man". -- Paul Chandler