Dear Location Based Game Enthusiasts

My name is Manuel Baer and I am a PhD candidate in Geographic
Information Science at the University of Zurich. My current PhD project
revolves around creating an engaging location-based game to collect
useful data for landscape perception and preference research.

We recently published a (open access) paper that might be of interest to
some of you: “StarBorn: Towards making in‐situ land cover data
generation fun with a location‐based game”
(https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/tgis.12543).

In mentioned project I developed and implemented a rather simple
location-based game to collect in-situ land cover classifications and
then compared the user generated data with an authoritative land cover
product derived from remote sensed data. The aim of the project was to
explore the potential of a location-based game to generate high-quality
in-situ data to be used in a research context. This work has now been
published and we discuss what worked, what didn’t and how the generated
data compared to official data sources. Feel free to contact me if you
have any questions about past or future work.

Best regards

Manuel Baer

@spatialsparks
www.spatialsparks.com