I seem to remember the Child Poverty Action Group had some stats on school visits which might have supported the notion that they could reinforce exclusion for children and young people who had challenges with formal education. I always thought that was very interesting. If school is something you don’t get on with - as a child or as a family – and with which you’re in continual conflict, then if your only experience of a museum is on a school visit, the museum becomes part of that unaccepting world.

Dea

From: "List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK." <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Amy Mcdowall <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2019 at 14:11
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Cultural capital research

Hi everyone

Been musing a lot about cultural capital (can you tell its August!) now that it’s in the new Ofsted inspection framework.

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen or done any in-depth research that measures the impact of museum learning experiences on pupils’ cultural capital? Or is aware of anything that plans to?

All I can find anywhere are definitions of cultural capital (e.g. the useful one by the CLA). But my feeling is that it would be really valuable for us as a sector to understand and demonstrate our impact on this specific area.

And this one’s a long shot:

Many years ago, someone told me of some research that actually showed that a one-off cultural experience (such as a one-day school trip to a museum or going to the theatre) actually has a negative impact on pupils from homes that don’t engage in culture. (Presumably by emphasising “here’s something that some families do, but not you”.) And that 5 positive engagements with the cultural form/venue are needed to overcome this effect. Which obviously has a huge implication for museum education! ….. or would, if I could find the research! Has anyone heard of it? I want to say it was linked to Merseyside?

Any thoughts or leads welcome!

Thanks

Amy

Amy McDowall

Primary Learning Coordinator

Manchester Museum | The University of Manchester

0161 275 7357|@MM_Connects | Primary & Early Years E-news http://eepurl.com/cVBvlHlearningmanchester.wordpress.com|manchester.ac.uk/museum/learn

cid:E7DC3752-AA61-49F0-B14B-B0DB832D44BE

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + GEM list: Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask] Anyone can join for free at any time by sending this message to [log in to unmask]: Join GEM Firstname Secondname Include only the text above, without email signature etc. The title of the email doesn’t matter. Send it to [log in to unmask] If you are going on holiday or have an out of office message for some other reason, you can send this message: Set GEM nomail When you get back: Set GEM mail You don’t 'miss' any messages by doing this as they are all available via main GEM list web page as above. Finally, if you need to change your email address, but stay subscribed to GEM, just send your new email address like this: CHANGE GEM [log in to unmask] + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +